Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Puzzles That Require the Cover Art

I have never been a fan of the puzzles that are "so hard" that you have to look at the picture/cover art for every single piece.   The puzzle manufacturer lists it as very difficult, but to me, it's just boring.  I want to be able to use my own analytical and deducing brain to put the puzzle pieces together, NOT look at the cover to decide where it goes. 

I did one last year that was a cartoonish picture of Philadelphia I think.  It was all buildings and WINDOWS.  But because every piece had windows on it, you had to look at the cover to decided where it should go, or at least approximately.  I do not like that.  It's kind of like having a puzzle that is the same picture throughout - like jellybeans, or nails or the same cat repeating over and over again.  To me, this is not real puzzling.  This is insanity.

Even "Life", as large as it is, I don't foresee to be a very difficult puzzle because of the variety of pictures, colors, details and textures.  The "extreme difficulty" lies in its size and where to put it when you're done!  LOL

To me, a difficult puzzle has pieces that the picture changes are so subtle from piece to piece that only seasoned puzzlers can actually "see" the differences.  Often scenery puzzles are like this because of the greenery!  Who likes to put together puzzles with lots and lots and lots of green leaves?  I do!

The pointless puzzles are the ones that are a solid color.  That is it.  One solid color throughout.  I remember a few years ago I saw a solid black one.  All the same shade.  The only option you have is pretty much to try each piece in each piece.  Again, pure sanity.

5 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen a puzzle that is one solid color. I, of course, would never attempt one like that because I would never finish. I like ones that are relatively easy picture wise (regardless of # of pieces) where there are lots of different elements that you can work on. That's one reason I figured attempting to do Life would be good because it's obviously an enormous and impressive size, but like you said, not difficult otherwise. I just love the picture and the thought of putting one together that is so big.

    I haven't been able to work on the puzzle in about a week as we were out of town and then prior to that I had my china sitting on the table for a few days waiting for my hubby and friend to move the china cabinet. All that is done now, so I should be able to get puzzling again in the next day or two. Then we are having a big party at our house on Saturday so I'll have to roll it up again on Saturday to prepare for the party. Oh well, hopefully I'll at least get a little bit done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rome wasn't built in a day. The little steps all add up. I'm currently dieting with Weight Watchers and I keep comparing it to the dieting process. Little steps at a time. Slowly we do see progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...that's a good comparison. Yeah, I guess any progress is still progress. It's just frustrting that it's sooo slow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to totally agree with you! I am working on 4 ancient maps of the world right now, and I feel like for the continents with all the writing, I have to look up each piece. I am done with that now, so its getting better. It has large sections of one color pieces (as does double retrospect). You dont have to try each piece, but you have to sort into the piece types, and then very carefully look for the difference in knob shape and size and placement to find the piece. I actually enjoy this a lot (kind of like your greenery). Have you guys seen Krypt? I have this one in my closet: http://sexdrugsandjigsawpuzzles.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html#krypt I am very much looking forward to that one!

    There are also some japanese puzzles that are all the same color. I think I will pick up one of these or just try a puzzle from these guys. Check them out: http://imaginatorium.org/shop/nota.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never even bother with those solid color ones. In my opinion they are pointless. But if you want to give them a whirl, all the power to ya! :) I don't mind so much if there are true nuances to the pieces. Good luck!

      Delete