Thursday, August 5, 2010

My Work Space and Shipping Has Commenced

I have decided to work the puzzle in my bedroom.  It is the only available space that is away from curious fingers.  I could set up in the basement, but I don't want to be away from the kids if I happen to be working on it at the time of day that they are up (i.e. weekends.)  I plan only to work on it in the evenings after they go to bed and weekends.  So this could take me a long time.  Here is my work space:


Dan and I were going to go shopping for a large table or piece of ..... something that was 4'x8': plywood, foam, etc.  But as I was out getting groceries, Dan surprised me by finding this piece of peg board in the garage.  He set it up with the table and everything while I was gone.  It was a great show of support on his part.  The board is only 4' x 5' 3" but it will still work just fine!  Now I just need a light and a chair and I'll be good to go.  Oh yeah, the PUZZLE would be nice too!

I did get an email today that the behemoth has been shipped and I do have a tracking number.  But alas! The number doesn't pull up any information yet.  Saturday does NOT look promising.

A friend suggested to me today about donating the final product to the new hospital being built in town.  I hadn't thought of that and it is definitely an option I will keep in mind.  It's a hospital within my own insurance and I'm thrilled.  It just might be the way to show that appreciation.

The local library was the other option of donation locales.  It is a place that my kids and I weekly patronize.  I volunteer there on Friday nights as well.  Somehow puzzles and books just seem to go together.  Some kind of intellectual link I think.

That's the update for today.  Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Okay, I don't know what happened. I had written you a long comment yesterday, but I can't find it now. Anyway....congrats on doing this monsterous challenge. I think it's neat that our blogs are so similar in what we're trying to accomplish by blgging about our progress on the puzzle. I find myself loving to look at yours and see what has happened next. I can't believe you're mixing all 24,000 pieces first! I think it's awesome, but I couldn't do that. There's no way because I don't have a place to put the puzzle if it were that big while I'm working on it. I have a puzzle roll that holds only one section at a time. I would like to have mixed all 24,000 pieces, but I just know that wouldn't be realistic for me.

    It's going to be fun kind of working on this puzzle "together"....I look forward to learning more about you and your puzzling techniques too.

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sweet of you Penny. It is nice to work on it "together". "No one knows the trouble I've seen"... LOL We will be able to relate!

    I wanted to mix the pieces because then I felt like I was really doing a 24,000 piece instead of four six-thousand piece puzzles. But even a 6,000 piece is a task!

    Otherwise, I'm from Wisconsin. I'm happily married to my best friend. We have 4 children from 7 years to 19 months. We homeschool, are involved in church and I volunteer at our local library. Everyong one wonders how I can fit a huge puzzle in. :) Definately looking forward to more updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. Okay, so I understand your reasoning for mixing the pieces, but I'm still unsure how you're doing that when it looks like the peg/puzzle board you're using isn't even close to being big enough to hold the whole thing. How are you going to put it together?

    Awww, that's great that you're married to your best friend! I am too. How long have you been married? Wow, 4 kids and homeschooling too! You must be a saint or the energizer bunny (maybe both!) to be able to still find time to puzzle...LOL

    Looking forward to getting to know you better through our blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I can see that you are going to be very inspirational! As far as putting it together, I figured I would just work portions at a time. I would have to move them around on large cardboard (or other flat, heavy-duty item). I have read a lot of the other blogs and stories of people finishing this puzzle and they have good ideas. Check out www.worldslargestpuzzle.com and you can find lots of helpful info there. :)

    My hubby and I have been married 8 years next month.

    Do you have Facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why did you say you can see I'm going to be inspirational? Cuz I talk alot?! LOL Yeah, I have read every story in the Hall of Fame at least twice, some many more times (like Scott and PJ's story). That's how I became so obsessed with doing the puzzle. The HofF stories were sooo inspiring. Especially the quadripalegic - if he can do it, I certainly have no excuses.

    Wow, it's going to be interesting to see how you put it together with your board. The people I saw on the site who mixed the pieces for the most part did it on a huge table or somehow worked on pieces of foam board and only did about 1,000 pieces at a time. It's definitely going to be a challenge, but I'm sure it will be well worth it in the end.

    Very cool about you and your hubby. I have been married to my wonderful guy for 5.5 years and we'be been together or almost 9 (the 14th of September it will be 9 years since we met for the first time.)

    Yes, I am on Facebook a lot. Here's a link to my profile, if it works. http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=542934767

    I would be happy to add you as a friend.

    ReplyDelete